Colourful wall display featuring self-portraits

Carleton is an open, friendly school and we aim to resolve any complaints informally. Parents are encouraged to approach the staff or the Headteacher if they have any concerns or problems.

Who can make a complaint?  

This complaints procedure is not limited to parents or carers of children that are registered at the  school. Any person, including members of the public, may make a complaint to Carleton Endowed  CE Primary School about any provision of facilities or services that we provide. Unless complaints  are dealt with under separate statutory procedures (such as appeals relating to exclusions or  admissions), we will use this complaints procedure. 

The difference between a concern and a complaint  

A concern may be defined as ‘an expression of worry or doubt over an issue considered to be  important for which reassurances are sought’.  

A complaint may be defined as ‘an expression of dissatisfaction however made, about actions taken  or a lack of action’.  

It is in everyone’s interest that concerns and complaints are resolved at the earliest possible stage.  Many issues can be resolved informally, without the need to use the formal stages of the complaints  procedure. takes concerns seriously and will make every effort to resolve the matter as quickly as  possible.  

If you have difficulty discussing a concern with a particular member of staff, we will respect your  views. In these cases, the headteacher or another senior member of staff, will refer you to another  staff member. Similarly, if the member of staff directly involved feels unable to deal with a concern, the headteacher or another senior member of staff will refer you to another staff member. The  member of staff may be more senior but does not have to be. The ability to consider the concern  objectively and impartially is more important.  

We understand however, that there are occasions when people would like to raise their concerns  formally. In this case, Carleton Endowed CE Primary School will attempt to resolve the issue  internally, through the stages outlined within this complaints procedure. 

How to raise a concern or make a complaint  

A concern or complaint can be made in person, in writing or by telephone. They may also be made  by a third party acting on behalf on a complainant, as long as they have appropriate consent to do  so.  

Concerns should be raised with either the class teacher or headteacher. If the issue remains  unresolved, the next step is to make a formal complaint.  

Complainants should not approach individual governors to raise concerns or complaints. They have  no power to act on an individual basis and it may also prevent them from considering complaints at  Stage 2 of the procedure.  

Complaints against school staff (except the headteacher) should be made in the first instance, to The Headteacher via the school office. Please mark them as Private and Confidential.  

Complaints that involve or are about the headteacher should be addressed to Ms Helen Williams  (the  Chair of the
IEB), via the school office. Please mark them as Private and Confidential.  

Complaints about the Chair of Governors, any individual governor or the whole governing body  should be addressed to Mr Chris Davey (the Clerk to the Governing Body) via the school office.  Please mark them as Private and Confidential.  

For ease of use, a template complaint form is included at the end of this procedure. If you require  help in completing the form, please contact the school office. You can also ask third party  organisations like the Citizens Advice to help you.  

In accordance with equality law, we will consider making reasonable adjustments if required, to  enable complainants to access and complete this complaints procedure. For instance, providing  information in alternative formats, assisting complainants in raising a formal complaint or holding  meetings in accessible locations.  

Anonymous complaints  

We will not normally investigate anonymous complaints. However, the headteacher or Chair of  Governors, if appropriate, will determine whether the complaint warrants an investigation.  

Time scales  

You must raise the complaint within three months of the incident or, where a series of associated  incidents have occurred, within three months of the last of these incidents. We will consider  complaints made outside of this time frame if exceptional circumstances apply.  

Complaints received outside of term time  

We will consider complaints made outside of term time to have been received on the first school day  after the holiday period.

The attached PDF file sets out full details of policy and procedure regarding complaints.